Thursday, July 31, 2008

Termites and cat puke

So, my very chill, relaxing evening turned into a disgusting end of the day. Picture this: soft, cozy bed, about to spend some quality time in the Word, when all of a sudden you see these little bug-fly-like insects on your bedside table. You squash 3 or 4 with your finger, expect not to have any more problems. Not the case. Several more bug-flies appear, and you continue to squash them, until your finger gets a little goopy. More bug-flies appear, to my disgust, and then I look down on the window sill by my bed and see a swarm of these bug-flies. I got the vacuum cleaner out and sucked up all the remaining bug-flies, but to my dismay, they reappeared- I looked out the window and saw a swarm on the other side of the window. I quickly called Mike, who is an hour's time difference in DC (so 11:30pm his time) and ask him what termites look like. I spent the next hour on the phone with Mike- I took pictures of these fabulous creatures and sent them to him to see if he could ID them. Ended up that the bug-flies looked like grown termites. Great. So, Mike tried to call our bug-man friend at 11:30pm at night (he didn't pick up) to see what they were/ what we should do. I decided to spend the night in the guest bedroom so that I wouldn't get swarmed with critters. We then came up with a plan to call Terminix in the morning.

So, after waking up several times last night, dreaming of what the Terminix man would say, I woke up this morning to find a lovely pile of cat puke. I decided to ignore it until I had some coffee in me. I then called back our bug-man friend (Mr. Mac) and I described what the bug-flies looked like- he said not to worry because apparently termites have long narrow bodies and these bug-flies had a narrowing around their midsection. Yay. No termites.

So, no termites...now on to cleaning up the pile of cat puke.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

That is just gross.