I feel that this is the calm before the storm. I have this feeling that once I get back from school next week, there's gonna be so much that I need to do/study/learn and so I've been trying to enjoy these next 4 days off.
So, today, I decided that I would sleep until I woke up, which I did. I had my quiet time, cleaned two bathrooms, did laundry, took a shower and then was going to Ikea and Seconds and Surplus to pick out kitchen cabinet hardware.
So, on the way to Ikea, I was hungry and decided to stop at Wendy's. The drive-thru line was way too long, so I went inside and got my food, went back to my car,then turned the car battery on to eat quickly. Once I was finished, I couldn't get my car to start. When I could kinda get it to work, the horn/alarm system went off uncontrollably and I was "that person" in the parking lot whose car alarm wouldn't stop. Talk about humiliating.
I frantically called Mike, who didn't have his cell phone on him. I kept hitting the unlock button, which would silence the alarm, but then the car wouldn't start. So, I called Alison to see if she could pick me up. While she was on her way, I called the Toyota dealership and described the symptoms and they thought my battery was dead. Lovely.
Then, my car started freaking out again with the horn going, but it was a really weak horn- it was pitiful- and I couldn't stop it. Finally, after about a minute, it stopped.
Thankfully, Ali arrived and we went and ran some errands and she brought me back home.
Mike had been planning for over a week to take me out on a date, and tonight was the night. So, he came home from work, picked me up, took me to Wendy's to jump-start the car, only we couldn't find the jumper cables. So, off to Auto-Zone where we bought the cables. Back to Wendy's to jump-start the car, then we go back to Auto-Zone where they hooked up the battery, and it was indeed low.
The great thing about Auto Zone is that they guarantee their batteries. We had actually bought the battery a year and a half ago, and their warranty is good for 2 years, so we got a free new battery! Mike did a great job of quickly changing out the battery in the parking lot (with the added safety feature of the car horn honking obnoxiously whenever you try to disconnect the battery- scared the life of out of me!) I'm sure the Auto Zone people were laughing at me as I was trying to turn off the honking by using the key fob like a magic wand or something. Greatness.
No comments:
Post a Comment