Thursday, September 18, 2008

fun things...read sarcastically

So, this week class has been a little interesting. Here are the highlights so far:

- on Wednesday, doing a male genitalia exam on a "surrogate"- basically a guy that gets paid to let us learn on him what we're supposed to know. Ya know, "drop your drawers." Fun. VERY awkward, especially when you're married.

- on Thursday, doing a female genitalia exam on a "surrogate" - see above for definition of surrogate, but insert female. I mean, this poor woman (granted, she's getting paid), but seriously- 45 minutes in stirrups?? And 9 different people examining her while we're all standing and watching?? You could not pay me enough money. However, I would say doing this exam was much less awkward than the male. And, props to my OB/GYN for being fast. I now truly respect that.

- Thursday afternoon, we learned how to look in each other's ears and eyes with our new toys (otoscopes and opthalmoscopes)- so, all through out life, I've had a problem with wax accumulating in my right ear- it's had to get removed professionally, etc. So, as my friend was looking in my right ear, she goes "Wow, there's this huge piece of wax down there. I mean, I could just reach in there and get it. It's huge." Great. So embarassing. So, after she removes the otoscope, my hearing has significantly diminished. I mean, significantly. So, I go to my director, Terry, and tell her what happened. She looks in my ear and sees this giant wax mass and goes, "She probably pushed it closer to your ear drum. Let me try and remove this." So she takes some q-tips (NEVER use q-tips to clean your ears, btw) (we didn't have the special ear wax removal things) and got some out, but there is still some left. Then she told me not to let anyone else look in my right ear. It was fun.

Oh, the joys of PNP school- there is never a dull moment!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Marisa, that story of the ear wax going further in is funny. I didn't realize it could impact your hearing. Good to know...earwax buildup.