Saturday, March 28, 2009

Just say no

Wednesday morning, on my way to clinicals, I stopped in to Starbucks for my usual. As I headed to my car, this lady runs behind me saying, "Miss! Miss!" I turn around (thinking I dropped something or forgot something), and she says, "You're really cute and young. Would you be interested in (at this point I'm thinking modeling, but then thinking I'm way too short) being a part of my leadership organization for young women?"
I'm thinking, "What in the world?" and so I'm like, "Okay..."
She goes, "I'm a consultant for Mary Kay and I'm trying to find successful women like you to be a part of our leadership development team." (Inward groan)

Seriously?!

How does she know that I'm successful (or not, for that matter!) based on what I look like! And then I inwardly groaned as I knew what was coming next...the pitch.

So, I quickly said, "You know, I'm in grad school right now and life is really crazy and busy for me, so I'm not the best person for this."
"Oh, no problem, when do you get done?" she asks.
"August," I say.
"Well, give me your info and maybe we can talk later. Do you have a business card?"
(Nurses don't carry around business cards!!)
I was so stunned that I gave her my phone number, expecting her to call in August and she gave me her business card.

Fast forward to Friday afternoon. I'm leaving Children's from my clinicals, and my phone rings. It's my Mary Kay friend. And she wants to meet for coffee so we can talk about the leadership program, (AKA, sell makeup). I decided that it was time to nip this in the bud.
I polietly, but firmly told her that I was not interested. She got offended and wanted to know why I didn't want to be a part of her leadership team for young women (aka, play her game).
I told her that I was not salesmanship material (I would starve if I had to be a saleswoman) and it did not interest me at all, nor did I have the time to commit- and I didn't want to waste her time because I knew that she was busy.

I don't think she liked what I said.
But, I knew that if I didn't I'd be stuck trying to get myself out of something that I didn't want to do... so I just said no.

So sorry, my Mary Kay friend, I don't want to play your game. Plus, I like MAC makeup better! :)

1 comment:

Cindy said...

That is soo funny! Didn't I teach you about Stranger Danger?

Hey, you have a career to fall back on if the NP thing doesn't work out.... :)