Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Trip to the South

About two weeks ago, I ventured down to The South for a fun girls weekend!
My trip started in Birmingham, where I spent some of the best four years of my life! I spent some time back on Samford's campus that afternoon, totally reminiscing, walking through all the old buildings, going through the nursing school, the Caf, the library (and tried not to totally face-plant while walking down the black marble steps!) the courtyard, Beeson Woods, Vail dorms, the bookstore (and picked up a Samford onise!)
Here's the chapel:


Later that evening, I met up with Joe and Melissa Dentici, dear friends from Samford days- had dinner in downtown Homewood (which has been totally renovated and quite cute!), and then went back to their house to spend the night. Melissa and I had a great time catching up- so thankful that our friendship has continued all these years!

On Friday, Melissa and I went to O'Henry's Coffee House- one of my favorite places to go when I lived in B-ham, and had breakfast. Quite delightful. We then met up with more fun Samford friends- Jenn and her cute baby Evie, and Steph! We then went to The Summit and had lunch and shopped around. I hadn't seen Jenn or Steph in over 3 years, so it was great to see them again! Amazing to see how we have all changed and what all we've gone through in 3 years (marriages, babies, grad school, job changes, moves, etc....)



Me and Jenn


Me and Melissa



On Friday afternoon, I drove my rental car to Nashville. Note to self- the next time you get a rental car and decide to make a trip longer than 30 minutes, make sure your car has cruise control and the AC adapter works.
Oh, well- got there safely, and that's what counts, right?
When I arrived in Nashville, I headed to Julia and Tim's house and had dinner with them. Julia and I used to work together at Children's ER back in the day- then she moved to England with her hubby and son- then they all moved back to Nashville 3 years later. Thankfully, we've been able to meet up over the past 6 years in all of her various living locations! She graciously hosted me on a couple of occasions when I was in Nashville for grad school- always a good time catching up with her!
After dinner, I headed to Melanie and Cliff's house in Franklin. We spent the rest of the evening hanging out, playing with Kaylee, her very cute daughter, and catching up. Melanie and I were roommates in college for 3 years and survived nursing school together at Samford. She also graciously hosted me multiple times when I would come to Nashville for grad school (and was a source of encouragement, as she had also gone through Vandy's PNP program!).
On Saturday, I headed downtown to Vanderbilt and wandered around the campus (quickly, though, because the high that day was 24 degrees. I'd forgotten what frozen ears felt like). Also, I had to buy a Vandy onsie. Gotta represent.
I met up with my Vandy PNP friends and we had a fabulous late-afternoon lunch!

Both Britt and I are preggers and we had a little baby shower at Lauren's house after lunch. So fun! Crazy to think that 2 years ago, we were all in the midst of clinicals, papers, tests, MAJOR stress.... so glad that insane year is over, but so thankful to have been able to catch up and see these girls again!

Saturday night I headed back to Mel's house and we had a relaxing evening at her home.
Here's her little girl, Kaylee:

Cannot believe how big she is!! I remember when Melanie was pregnant with her when I would come to Nashville during grad school! And now she's 2!!

Here's me and Mel- both preggers! It was so great to see she and Cliff again!


On Sunday around lunch, I drove back to Birmingham to catch my flight back to Dallas. Well, right after I got into Birmingham, it started to sleet and ice. Mind you, Birmingham is in the South- there's not a whole lot of preparedness for ice and snow (ex-they ran out of de-icer at the airport). So, needless to say, my flight was cancelled and I was stuck at the airport with about 1000 other angry passengers.
Thankfully, Joe came to the rescue and picked me up from the airport, and we drove (very slowly and cautiously!!) back to he and Melissa's house! So, blessing in disguise was that I got to spend another night with the Dentici's! So thankful that I was stuck in a city with good friends!
I ended up having to cancel my Monday morning clinic at work (since I was in a different state!) but thankfully I was able to get on a flight later Monday afternoon to come back home.
Definitely a fabulous trip!! So glad that I was able to go and see so many friends at one time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

your trip looks so fun!! Glad you had such a great time! you deserve it! :)

Papi said...

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures!....I recognized some of your friend's faces from the time that we went to your graduation. I'm glad that you had a GREAT time and that you and "peanut" made it back home safely!...

Papi

Cindy said...

Wonderful pictures and adventures!