Friday, April 8, 2011

Bedrest

So, on Wednesday, I went to my normal 38 week OB appointment, feeling fine, no worries. I had met earlier that morning with the dietician for a normal diabetes visit (all blood sugars have been great!). When the medical assistant took my blood pressure in the doctor's office, it was in the high 140's over 90's, repeated again by my doctor, and still high. So, she sent me down to labor and delivery triage to check serial blood pressures as well as lab work. My blood pressures went down with me lying on my side for 2 hours, but my platelets had dropped from my 28-week CBC = concern for pre-eclampsia/beginnings of early HELLP syndrome (hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, low platelets). So, she sent me home on strict bedrest for the next two days with orders to come back on Friday for a repeat CBC to see how the platelets were trending, also with the understanding that we might get induced that Friday if blood work wasn't better. So, I came home and lied on the couch for the next two days. I started my FMLA leave from work that Wednesday and tried to come up of a list of things to do from the couch. Those of you who know me know how difficult it is for me to not be doing something ALL the time!! I am such a type-A person, needing to be productive all the time, with check-lists in hand. Thankfully, our friends and family have stepped in big-time and helped out with grocery store trips, visits to the house and meals for Mike and I, which has been a huge blessing. We went back today for my lab work and to see the doctor- my blood pressure was slightly higher in the clinic (had been fine at home, but it shows that moving around will elevate it = pre-eclampsia!). My platelets were essentially the same as what they were on Wednesday, which is great. Due to the high blood pressures, I will continue to be on bedrest today through the weekend and we are scheduled to check into labor and delivery on Sunday evening to begin the induction process. So, unless Peanut decides to come before then, we should meet him or her hopefully sometime on Monday! It was a little surreal, though, today, to go to the hospital with our bags packed, not knowing if today would be the day, or if we would wait until our previously scheduled induction date (the 17th) or what would happen. It is nice to know a final date- we should have a baby on the 11th. My prayer is that the induction will go smoothly, that the baby and I would both be healthy and safe. We are so excited to finally get to meet our little one, find out if it's a girl or boy and get to hold him or her!!

2 comments:

Laura-Jane said...

Prayers for a swift, easy delivery! Good luck!

Erin Douthit Ham said...

we found out the day of Adam's birth that he was a boy too. Sooooo worth it.