Can't believe that we are 37 weeks today-full term- crazy!!
This pregnancy has, for the most part, been pretty easy. However, I will say the hardest part came around weeks 28-30. I failed my one-hour glucose tolerance test (screening test to see if you have gestational diabetes). So, if you fail the initial one-hour test, you get the pleasure of taking the three-hour test (getting your blood drawn a first time, drinking the double amount of the sugary orange drink, and then getting your blood drawn every hour on the hour for the next 3 hours. No fun, and your arms look like you are a drug dealer or something).
Due to our fabulous icy and snowy weather which occured in early February, I kept having to have this test rescheduled (I think three times!)- it finally got done the Wednesday before I left to go to NYC with Mike. Fortunately, my doc was going to be out of town the rest of the week, so I didn't have to worry about lab results until she came back (and subsequently, could eat whatever I wanted to in NYC!).
Well, it turned out that I do in fact have gestational diabetes- I royally failed the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. And it's so ironic, as I work with diabetics every day! It was a hard adjustment, though, and completely overwhelming, initially, because I had to completely change the way I ate- I can only have certain amount of carbohydrates at meals and snacks, have to make sure I get enough protein and fiber to keep me full and have to check my blood sugar 4 times a day. Even though I'm around all of this all the time at work, it was still hard when you're the one cooking, going to the grocery store, trying to figure out what in the heck is okay to eat, especially in restuarants!
After about a week of figuring this out, it got a lot easier. I've gotten used to poking my fingers 4 or 5 times a day, I've gotten organized- Sundays are my prep days, where I measure out all of my food and snacks into little snack baggies for the week. I know about how many carbs are in the common foods that we eat and where we go out for meals. My blood sugars have been great and I haven't had to go on insulin. Majority of women with gestational diabetes have normal blood sugars essentially right after birth and the problem is gone, which is what we're hoping for!
The other good thing is that the baby isn't quite so large any more! Before I knew I had gestational diabetes, our baby was measuring in the 90th percentiles, due to all the extra glucose he/she was getting. I just thought our baby was big because it was a Frizzell baby! :) Now, with the dietary changes I've made, he or she is back in the 50th percentiles, doing great (measured 6 pounds, 6 ounces last week at 36 weeks!) so, it makes me feel better that the baby is looking good (and hopefully I won't have to push out a 9 pound baby!).
Not going to lie, though- there are hard days for sure, especially the past week or so- I've become a whole lot more tired (feeling like I'm back in the first trimester!), working wears me out, my back, hips and pelvis are hurting and aching, and I feel like I'm constantly having Braxton Hicks contractions. My emotions have been ALL over the place (poor Mike!!). I'm getting tired of having such a restrictive diet and having to be dilligent with counting carbs, when all I really want sometimes is a big piece of chocolate cake, not sugar-free pudding with whipped cream. :) But, they tell me it's worth it. And I know it will be.
I can't believe we're in the home-stretch. Our bags are packed. The car seat is installed, the nursery is finished, the bathroom is finished. Stroller is in the back of the car. We've taken all the classes (Infant CPR, Prepared Childbirth, Breastfeeding Class, and Transparent Class at Watermark). The pack and play is out and ready to go, as is the swing and bouncer. All the clothes that can be washed are washed, hung up or put away. I even think Bella knows that change is in the air.
So, here we go. We are so excited to meet our little one very soon, to finally know if it's a boy or girl, to see who he or she looks like and to finally hold him or her.
2 comments:
We also are eager to see our new grandbaby!...I've been praying that you and the baby will have a safe delivery! Hang in there sweetie!...God willing, very happy times are coming up soon!!!
Much love,
Papi
Aww, you made me teary! So sweet!
All this will be so worth the wait! We are eager with you...
My favorite verse for baby laboring is I Cor 10:13 (think contractions where it says "temptations")!
with prayer and love,
Mom
Post a Comment