Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Birmingham!

A couple of weeks ago, Lucy and I boarded a plane to Birmingham, AL for a fun girls weekend! One of my good friends, Melissa, is about to welcome her sweet baby girl into the world and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go to her baby shower and celebrate with her!

I will admit, I was a little anxious about taking Lucy on a plane by myself and keeping up with her all weekend, but she did really well!

We arrived at Love Field in Dallas at 6:00 am on Saturday morning, and made our way through security. I was uuber organized before arriving to the airport and tried to have all my ducks in a row. It was a little crazy going through security, though- trying to hold her while collapsing the stroller, putting all my stuff on the x-ray conveyor belt, etc....but thanks to TSA security, we both made it through in one piece.

Lucy did GREAT on the plane both ways- slept the entire time to and from! What a huge answer to prayer!!
We arrived in Birmingham and I'm pretty sure I looked a little ridiculous, with me pushing a stroller, large bag on my shoulder as well as pulling a suitcase behind me, but it worked and we got to our rental car. :) 
Oh, and a side-note- we arrived the morning of the Alabama vs LSU game- half of our plane was full of Alabama fans, who were also getting their rental cars along with me and then pulling out their dozens of magnetic decals and sticking them all over their rental cars- no lie.                            

It was so, so wonderful to be able to see old friends and celebrate Melissa and sweet Anne Charlotte!!
Lucy did pretty well at the shower- thankfully, the hostess had a crib, high chair and lots of toys for Lucy to play with....great setup!

We spent the weekend laying low at Melissa's house after the shower, going through all of her fun baby gifts, figuring out what else needed to be purchased, running to Babies R Us, etc... I was so thankful for Melissa and her mom for helping me with taking care of Lucy! They were such a blessing!!
Lucy did really well while we were in Birmingham- only bad thing was her sleep (or lack of it!). She woke up about 4 times on Saturday night and about 3 or 4 times on Sunday night- it didn't help that it was Daylight savings time and she had her times all messed up. She ended up waking up for the day on Sunday morning at 5:30 am- I couldn't find the coffee pot, so around 7:00 am, I loaded Lucy up in the car and we went to O'Henry's Coffee House in our PJ's and got coffee. Needless to say, there were several other young families there as well- apparently Daylight savings doesn't get translated to little ones yet....

Of course, we had to go and visit Mr. Beeson at Mommy's alma mater.... 

Melissa with Anne Charlotte (inside!), Lucy and me

Lucy thought it would be fun to eat Mr. Beeson....

One of my favorite things about the fall in the South- the BEAUTIFUL trees and hills- lots and lots of color!! 

I also got to catch up with one of my roommates, Andrea, and her friend, Lauren, at the Cheesecake Factory on Sunday morning! So fun to see her again!

All in all, a GREAT trip! I was so thankful to have been able to go and was glad to have taken Miss Lucy along to see where her Mom spent her college years!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - how fun! Very proud of Lucy and her brave mom. :)