Sunday, March 4, 2012

flying solo

For the month of February and first week of March, Mike has spent every week (and one weekend!) in the desert in New Mexico for his job, so I've essentially been a single mom for a little over a month. 
And let me tell you, my hat goes off to all the single moms out there! It's a tough job, even with a sweet baby, especially when you're used to having a very helpful husband around!

Thankfully, the Lord totally sustained me and gave me an abundance of strength and patience. Having very helpful family and friends around to help with picking Lucy up from childcare when I worked, bringing meals, hanging out for playdates, etc, has also made all the difference!

So, what did we do while Daddy was away?

We finger-painted a Welcome Home sign for Daddy! I found a recipe on Pinterest for edible finger paint. It turned out almost like gel (using a cornstarch base)- so I'm trying the flour version next time. We still had a good time. Knowing that this could be a potentially messy event, I took everything off Lucy but her diaper and wore an apron myself.  Not gonna lie, I had envisioned this wonderful art project, where she totally loved playing with the paint and made amazing artwork on the welcome home sign, but ... she wasn't super interested in the paint, but gave it a good go. 


The finished product
After finger-painting. One of my favorite pics of us so far! 
What else did we do?
We played a lot! 

We also decided that after not wanting to eat solid food for about 2 weeks, that ALL OF A SUDDEN, eating real people food is amazing! Some of her recent favorite foods are lima beans, black beans, pears and spaghetti.

She started WALKING! She's still so tiny and I can't believe that my little girl is walking around the house now! 

We had lunch at the Arboretum with Grandmommy. It was nap time when we tried to take pics with the pretty flowers, but we got some sweet pics with Grandmommy...





We were SO excited when Daddy came home this weekend! It had been two weeks since we saw him last! He couldn't get over seeing her walk and also thinks she feels heavier (must be all that real-people food she has started to like!).

She's started to find her tongue....she'll stick it out if you stick your's out, and then she'll try and touch her tongue with her fingers, as if she's saying, "what is this wet thing in my mouth?"

"Look! You have one too!"




2 comments:

Liz said...

All these pictures are fantastic!

KendelRichards said...

she is so precious!!! glad mike is home to help!! :)